screen printing


Once I decided on a final design layout, I split the image into five layers - one for each colour I intended to use.

This was an easy process as I had been careful to label the layers in Photoshop as I went along.

On advice from the printing technicians, I worked on 300gsm paper as there was a lot of black and the paper would get saturated during printing.

At first I struggled to align the different layers of the image and had to throw away a lot of versions that I discovered a few colours in to the process were not quite in the correct position. This was understandably frustrating, but forced me to be meticulous in my marking out, which can only have helped my technique.

Areas I found particularly challenging were the dotted speech bubbles and the narrow text underneath the toy. Thankfully, I was able to produce a fairly accurate final outcome that isn't too far removed from the digital version.

As a medium, I'm not sure that screen printing added any value to the poster - the digitally printed version looks better in my opinion. The process of producing a complex, layered screen print had been invaluable however, and has given me knowledge and skills that I can carry forward into future projects.